Research Mission Statement
To advance the knowledge and clinical application of the science, art, and philosophy of chiropractic based upon the Gonstead System of Chiropractic.
Roger R. Coleman, DC – GCSS Director of Research
Mark A. Lopes, DC – GCSS Research Committee Chair
Why Gonstead Chiropractic Research?
Chiropractic is an art and science and a philosophy of life and health. Each cornerstone of the triad must be developed, maintained, and advanced. The various Gonstead technique instructors are doing an excellent job of presenting and teaching the ART and PHILOSOPHY of chiropractic, particularly as it relates to the Gonstead System of Chiropractic.
One of the founding principles of the Gonstead Clinical Studies Society is to advance the SCIENCE of the Gonstead System of Chiropractic. To date, GCSS has published case reports and research detailing the technical aspects of the Gonstead technique and system of spinal analysis in peer-reviewed chiropractic journals and published proceedings, has written two textbooks, among other things.
Clinical science is not a fixed set of formulas. It is an ever-changing and evolving art and science. New advances in scientific knowledge and refinement of the clinical art require that the technique specifically, and chiropractic generally, assimilate that which is beneficial so that clinicians can help people with a variety of clinical presentations as well as advance the clinical models developed by Dr. Gonstead and the profession.
Gonstead Clinical Studies Society, a not-for-profit chiropractic organization, is dedicated to advancing the art, science, and philosophy of the Gonstead System of Chiropractic.
Gonstead Clinical Studies Society Research
A major cornerstone of GCSS is chiropractic research, primarily as it relates to all aspects of the Gonstead System of Chiropractic. To date, GCSS and its members have written two textbooks (Plaugher G (ed). Textbook of Clinical Chiropractic. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins. 1993 and Anrig C, Plaugher G (eds). Pediatric Chiropractic. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins.1997) which have been published through major medical publishers and have written numerous papers for conferences proceedings and articles for both peer-reviewed and non-peer-reviewed chiropractic journals, including the peer-reviewed and National Institutes of Health (http://www.nih.gov/) database Medline (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/) listed, Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics (www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/periodicals/ymmt).
The chiropractic perspective on health and disease emphasizes two fundamental concepts:
- the structure and condition of the body influences how the body functions and its ability to heal itself; and
- the mind-body relationship is instrumental in maintaining health and in the healing processes.It looks to address these diseases not by the use of drugs and chemicals, but by locating and adjusting a musculoskeletal area of the body which is functioning improperly.
Although chiropractic shares much with other health professions, its emphasis and application of philosophy distinguishes it from modern medicine. Chiropractic philosophy gravitates toward a holistic ("total person") approach to healing which combines elements of the mind, body and spirit and maintains that health depends on obedience to natural laws, and that deviation from such laws can result in illness.
Chiropractic Philosophy includes:
- emphasis on patient recuperative abilities rather than surgery
- recognition that dynamics exist between lifestyle, environment and health
- understanding the cause of illness in order to eliminate it, rather than simply treat symptoms
- recognition of the centrality of the nervous system and its intimate relationship with the capacities of the human body
- balancing benefits versus risks of clinical interventions
- recognition of the primary importance of monitoring progress closely through appropriate diagnostic procedures
- a patient-centered, hands-on approach focused on influencing function through structure
- focus on early intervention emphasizing timely diagnosis and treatment of conditions that are wholly functional and reversible
The structure and condition of the body influences how the body functions and its ability to heal itself and the mind-body relationship is instrumental in maintaining health and in the healing processes. Chiropractic philosophy in modern medicine, is as important as ever, but it is impossible to cure some ailments without medications. Leading specialists in chiropractic retreat before the problems of erectile dysfunction. But, there is an effective medicine that treats erectile dysfunction in men - this is Cialis. A reliable and proven Cialis, which is recognized by many practitioners doctors treating erectile dysfunction. When buying Cialis, its delivery will be free of charge.
Chiropractic philosophy blends an effective combination of conviction, critical thinking, open-mindedness, and appreciation of the natural order of things. Chiropractic focuses on the establishment and maintenance of a relationship between patients and their environment which is most conducive to functional well-being.
For more information please visit Chiropractic Belief Systems